Monday 11 April 2016

Sound Production Evaluation - Unit 38


Family Guy & The Simpsons Car Wash


My first task was to create a clip with music imported in the background. I spent ages looking for the right clip as I was aware that I was not experience nor talented in Sound Production, so I tried to make it easier on myself but also fun. I found a humorous clip of Peter Griffin from Family Guy and Homer Simpson from The Simpsons dancing in tank tops and very short shorts whilst doing a car wash. My next task was to find music to go with it, as this was a funny clip I knew that the music had to match the humour as well. I chose to use 'Big Butts' as I think it fitted to mood of the clip and liked how it worked together. The next step was to put it together, so I dragged the clip into Garageband and muted the sound from the actual clip so that it didn't overpower the music I was about to put into the clip. I dragged the music clip from my desktop into Garageband on a new track, this way I was able to control where the music started and finished or when the music faded in and out.

The finishing product I thought was ok, although I found the process really stressful and not enjoyable as I didn't realise how technical it was. It was really hard getting the timing right and making everything fit accordingly. At first it seemed to simple but later came to the realisation that it really wasn't. I am not entirely happy with the overall outcome of this short clip but I don't think it is terrible. If I was to do it again I would take my time and get the timing right.

JAWS: Get Out off the Water


The next task was to create a clip with my own music composition to match the mood of the clip. I chose the clip Jaws: Get out off the water as I found the clip dramatic and interesting to watch. This enabled me to work around it and create a composition to fit the clip perfectly. I really liked this scene as it had a build up and I used that as inspiration and made the music I composed have a build up that matches the scene. The first step was to drag the clip into Garageband and create a new track for the music. When I found the keyboard piano I played around at first in order to get the keys right and get used to the notes I was playing. Once I done that I started creating the music that was to go with my clip, I found this to be easier when actually watching the clip because I was able to get the timing perfectly.

Overall I am happy with the outcome of this clip although if I was to go back and do it again, I would've made it more interesting instead of making it predictable as it was. The build up was fun to create as I found that part of the clip and sound the be the best part of the whole thing.


Mean Girls: Meeting Cady Heron

                                 

The final task of the workshop was to create a clip with voice dubbing. This was my favourite part of the workshop as I feel that you could be more creative with the dubbing. for example, the clip could be serious but the dubbing could be humorous. Aimee and I partnered up and started looking for clips that we could use. At first we chose a scene from Sister Act 2 but then changed our mind and chose the Mean Girls clip as it was more fun. We then had to make a decision on whether we should create our own script or stick to one already used. Aimee and I decided to keep the script that was used as there were a lot close ups in the scene and it would look unrealistic if we created our own script. After our decision we had to write out the script and read and learn it, this was fun as we both loved the movie and already knew parts of it. I dragged the clip into Garageband after I downloaded it off YouTube Converter and created a new track for the dialogue. Later on we discovered that it wasn't as easy as it looked because we had to get the timing right and there were a few mishaps and mistakes from both of us.In the end we got to two recordings that we really liked so we had to pick which one we liked and we chose the one imported above.

I really love the end product as I had fun with it and I am impressed at our timing, although it is not perfect I don't think it is noticeable at all. I loved the chosen clip and task as it really tested my patience and developed my skills.

Overall this workshop was really insightful as it was nothing I expected, I honestly thought it was going to be easier than it was and I underestimated the work that goes into sound production. Sound production is very precise and time consuming, my favourite part was the dubbing because it was fun to work with Aimee and create a great piece of work. 





No comments:

Post a Comment